Wednesday, May 10, 2006

1 Corinthians 13

The love chapter..

But look at something a bit different then what we're use to reading...

Verse 8:
"Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

I was talking with some of my friends today, and most of them are JW's (Jehovah Witness's). They definetly got me thinking about my faith, and what I believe. One thing that JW's are FAMOUS for is knowing their stuff. Francess is not an exception. She has verses to back up what she believes, and thoughts to ponder that REALLY get you thinking.

The first thought was this:
Christmas, Halloween, and Birthdays..they all BEGAN as pagan holidays and then Christians turned them into Christian holidays so that the converted pagans could still celebrate their holiday with a Christian meaning. (Which I think is a good idea..reach the people in a real and relevant way). Francess states: As Christians why would we want to celebrate what is essentially a pagan holiday?


The second was like this:
In 1Corinthians 12:8 it says that tounges will cease. She states that means that speaking in tounges is no longer...real (for lack of better words). This came over one of our friends stating that speaking in tounges is weird, and I commenting that it's not if you know where it's coming form and you respect it.

I'd like to say that I'm not doubting...but am I? I think that as Christians we shouldn't just take what people say for face value. Whether it be a pastor..or someone of another religion. I'm not asking for opinions..but biblical proof.

Why should we celebrate Christmas?
Is speaking in tounges is applicable to my life today?

4 Comments:

At 6:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I was just looking for entries of fellow Jehovah Witnesses and found your entry. I think the best thing you can do is really think about things, whether that leads you to listen to a JW or not. We don't encourage people to just follow what is said but find out for themselves. I am sure your friend will show you directly from you copy of the Bible what you would like to know. You seem like a very religious person and I admire that! I hope that you find what you are looking for. Pray about it. That will definitely help.
Well wishes,
Melody
PS If you would like to stay in touch please reply to this comment and let me know. =)

 
At 6:07 p.m., Blogger Krystle said...

Just wondering..are you a JW Melody? If you have a blog I'd like to read it..

 
At 6:42 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Yes, I am. Can I get your email address and email it to you? I dont give it out to many as I have had rude comments put on it in the past. Is that ok? =)
And thanks for replying to my comment. =D
-Mel

 
At 4:56 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, sent you an email with my blog address. ; ) Talk to you soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home